I'm a Directeur de Recherche (Cybersecurity) at Institut Mines-Télécom/IMT Atlantique (formerly Telecom Bretagne) in Rennes, France. I was previously a Statutory Lecturer in Computer Science at University College Cork.
My research interests include distributed/network access controls, trust, security analysis, security risk management, cyber-physical security and user-experience. I'm on the editorial boards of the Journal of Computer Security and the International Journal of Information Privacy, Security and Integrity; PC Chair of the 2017 European Symposium on Research in Computer Security and a past PC chair of NSPW and CSF.
My current PhD students are Imran Khan (UCC), Thomas Cledel (IMT), Edwin Bourget (IMT), Raphaël Larsen (IMT) and post-doc researcher Vivien Rooney (IMT). PhD and postdoc alumni from my old security group in Cork include Thomas Quillinan, Hongbin Zhou, Barry Mulcahy, Wayne Mac Adams, William Fitzgerald, Olgierd Pieczul, Ultan Neville, Fatih Turkmen, Jonathan Petit and Benyamin Aziz.
- Rooney, V. M., & Foley, S. N. (2018). On online consent maturity model: moving from acceptable use towards ethical practice. In New Security Paradigms Workshop, to appear.
- Neville, U. M., & Foley, S. N. (2018). Reasoning About Firewall Policies Through Refinement and Composition. Journal of Computer Security, 26(2), 207–254. Retrieved from http://simonnfoley.github.io/pubs/jcs2018.pdf [link]
- Foley, S. N., & Rooney, V. M. (2018). A Grounded Theory approach to security policy elicitation. Information and Computer Security Journal, in Press.
- Bourget, E., Cuppens, F., Cuppens-Boulahia, N., Dubus, S., Foley, S. N., & Laarouchi, Y. (2018). Probabilistic Event Graph to Model Safety and Security for Diagnosis Purposes. In Data and Applications Security and Privacy XXXII - 32nd Annual IFIP WG 11.3 Conference, DBSec 2018, Bergamo, Italy, July 16-18, 2018, Proceedings (pp. 38–47). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-95729-6_3 [link]
- Kahn, M. I., Foley, S. N., & O’Sullivan, B. (2017). On database intrusion detection: Query analytics based model of normative behavior to detect insider attacks. In 7th International Conference on Communication and Network Security.
- Rooney, V. M., & Foley, S. N. (2017). What users want: adapting qualitative research methods to security policy requirements elicitation. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Security and Privacy Requirements Engineering, SECPRE 2017. Retrieved from http://simonnfoley.github.io/pubs/secpre2017.pdf [link]
- Pieczul, O., Foley, S. N., & Zurko, M. E. (2017). Developer-centered security and the symmetry of ignorance. In New Security Paradigms Workshop, to appear. Retrieved from http://simonnfoley.github.io/pubs/nspw2017.pdf [link]
- Foley, S. N. (2017). Getting security objectives wrong: a cautionary tale of an Industrial Control System. In International Workshop on Security Protocols, to appear. Retrieved from http://simonnfoley.github.io/pubs/spw2017.pdf [link]
- Kahn, M. I., O’Sullivan, B., & Foley, S. N. (2017). A semantic approach to frequency based anomaly detection of insider access in database management systems. In International Conference on Risks and Security of Internet and Systems.
- Kahn, M. I., & Foley, S. N. (2016). Detecting anomalous behavior in DBMS logs. In International Conference on Risks and Security of Internet and Systems (CRiSIS2016).
- Neville, U., & Foley, S. N. (2016). Reasoning About Firewall Policies Through Refinement and Composition. In IFIP WG 11.3 Working Conference on Data and Applications Security and Privacy (DBSec2016). Retrieved from http://simonnfoley.github.io/pubs/dbsec2016-FW.pdf [link]
- Pieczul, O., & Foley, S. N. (2016). Runtime detection of zero-day vulnerability exploits in contemporary software systems. In IFIP WG 11.3 Working Conference on Data and Applications Security and Privacy (DBSec2016). Retrieved from http://simonnfoley.github.io/pubs/dbsec2016-struts.pdf [link]
- Pieczul, O., & Foley, S. N. (2016). The evolution of a security control. In International Workshop on Security Protocols, to appear. Retrieved from http://simonnfoley.github.io/pubs/secprot2016.pdf [link]